Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quiet: A Poem

Don't you just hate it when you are trying to read or write, and someone just has to be reading over your shoulder while your doing whatever. For instance, right now I'm trying to write another post, but some annoying little snooper (Thanks Dad!) has to be looking at every word I type. Jeesh people!!! Give this poor, lonely writer a break! Anyway, this poem kind of just came to me when I was listening to those creepy ghost noises late one night. I'm not saying I can relate to it in any way, but.... here goes.

Quiet

Voices, loud and piercing,
creeping into the darkness of my room.
Rising, growing
louder and louder,
a never-ending crescendo.
Footsteps down the hall
echoing to my parents' room,
Urgent.
Breathless sobs as the bedroom door
slams shut.
Silence.
A new sound now.
Throwing clothes into bags,
movements rushed, unfeeling.
Military footsteps
back down the hall.
The front door opens,
then slams shut,
as I lay on my bed
no longer safe and warm.
Through the opening of
the fraying curtains
a car takes flight
into the dark.
Gasps and tears
compliment the
fading sound.
A final slam.
The final silence.

Peace, love, and happiness
- Becca

1 comment:

  1. i know how that feels i relive it everyday and it hurts. but one day i'll b better.i hope

    ReplyDelete